Jaffa — A settlement in Judea also known as Ioppe
Ancient Jaffa was built on a 40 metres high ridge, with a broad view of the coastline, giving it a strategic importance in military history. The tell of Jaffa, created through the accumulation of debris and landfill over the centuries, made the hill even higher.

The city as such was established at the latest around 1800 BCE. Jaffa is mentioned in an Ancient Egyptian letter from 1440 BCE. The so-called story of the Taking of Joppa glorifies its conquest by Pharaoh Thutmose III, whose general, Djehuty hid Egyptian soldiers in sacks carried by pack animals and sent them camouflaged as tribute into the Canaanite city, where the soldiers emerged and conquered it. The story predates the story of the Trojan horse, as told by Homer, by at least two centuries.

The city was under Egyptian rule until around 800 BCE. In 701 BCE, in the days of King Hezekiah (חזקיהו), Sennacherib, king of Assyria, invaded the region from Jaffa. After a period of Babylonian occupation, under Persian rule, Jaffa was governed by Phoenicians.

Alexander the Great's troops were stationed in Jaffa. It later became a port city of the Seleucid Empire until it was taken over by the Maccabees. During the First Jewish–Roman War, Jaffa was captured and burned by Cestius Gallus. The Roman Jewish historian Josephus writes that 8,400 inhabitants were massacred. Pirates operating from the rebuilt port incurred the wrath of Vespasian, who razed the city and erected a citadel in its place, installing a Roman garrison there. During the first centuries of Christianity, Jaffa was a fairly unimportant Roman and Byzantine locality, which only in the 5th century became a bishopric.

In 636 Jaffa was conquered by Arabs. Under Islamic rule, it served as a port of Ramla, then the provincial capital. Al-Muqaddasi (c. 945/946 – 991) described Yafah as "lying on the sea, is but a small town, although the emporium of Palestine and the port of Ar Ramlah. It is protected by a strong wall with iron gates, and the sea-gates also are of iron. The mosque is pleasant to the eye, and overlooks the sea. The harbour is excellent". Jaffa was captured in June 1099 during the First Crusade, and was the centre of the County of Jaffa and Ascalon, one of the vassals of the Kingdom of Jerusalem. Saladin conquered Jaffa in 1187. The city surrendered to King Richard the Lionheart on 10 September 1191, three days after the Battle of Arsuf. Despite efforts by Saladin to reoccupy the city in the July 1192 Battle of Jaffa, the city remained in the hands of the Crusaders. On 2 September 1192, the Treaty of Jaffa was formally signed, guaranteeing a three-year truce between the two armies. Frederick II fortified the castle of Jaffa and had two inscriptions carved into city wall, one Latin and the other Arabic. In 1268, Jaffa was conquered by Egyptian Mamluks, led by Baibars. Abu'l-Fida (1273–1331), writing in 1321, described "Yafa, in Filastin" as "a small but very pleasant town lying on the sea-shore. It has a celebrated harbour. The town of Yafa is well fortified. Its markets are much frequented, and many merchants ply their trades here. There is a large harbour frequented by all the ships coming to Filastin, and from it they set sail to all lands.

Modern location: Tel Aviv, Israel
/Files/Images/Coinsite/CoinDB/T_(Obv_and_Rev)_2.jpg
An AE Hemiobol struck c. 246-222 BC in Ioppe
Obverse: Diademed head of Zeus-Ammon right

Reverse: ΒΑΣΙΛΕΩΣ ΠΤΟΛΕΜΑΙΟΥ, eagle with closed wings standing left on thunderbolt, harpē to left

Diameter: 19 mm
Die Orientation: 11 H
Weight: 4 g
The mintmark to the left of the eagle on this rare bronze hemiobol of Ptolemy III is a harpē; a type of ancient Greek sword which had a sickle protrusion along one edge near the tip of the blade. Lorber explains that these coins were assigned to Ioppe by Svoronos because the harpē was the weapon of Perseus, who according to myth rescued Andromeda in the harbour of Ioppe. A fun, if slightly irrelevant fact; Ioppe is an ancient port city in Israel that is also known as ‘Jaffa’ and later became famous for it’s delicious oranges. It’s also the name of my cat.
CPE B473; SNG Copenhagen 465 (Ptolemy II)