Colybrassus — A settlement in Pamphylia
Colybrassus or Kolybrassos was a city in Cilicia Tracheia that belonged to the Roman province of Pamphylia Prima, identified as such by Ptolemy. Inscriptions found on the site show that it was located at present-day Ayasofya on the Susuz Dağ, some 20 kilometres northeast of Alanya, at 1,000 metres above sea level.

Cited by the geographer Ptolemy as an important city center, in 113 BC, in Roman times housed the Legio Pontica. In Byzantine times it was the seat of a bishopric and the patron saint of the city took the name of Άγια Σοφία (Hagia Sophia). After the collapse of the Byzantine power in Anatolia in 1199, the city became part of the possessions of the Armenian prince Kervard with the name of "Surp Sope". The name was derived directly from the Armenian church dedicated to St. Sophia.

Modern location: ruins near Ayasofya on the Susuz Dağ, Turkey
/Files/Images/Coinsite/CoinDB/1535_Julia_Mamaea_Kolybrassos.jpg
An AE unit struck 222-235 AD in Colybrassus
Obverse: bust right diademed draped; ΙΟΥΛΙΑ__ΜΑΜΑΙΑ

Reverse: Athena standing left, holding spear and shield; tree behind; ΚΟΛΥΒΡ_Α_ϹϹEΩΝ

Diameter: 23 mm
Die Orientation: -
Weight: 10.6 g
No notes for this coin
RPC VI, 6250 (temporary); SNG Pfalz 755