Dioskourias — A settlement in Kolchis
Dioskourias is a city on the Black Sea coast, known today as Sukhumi.

According to the antique traditions this name originates from the mythical Dioskouri, the twin brothers Castor and Pollux, sons of Zeus. It was believed that the town had been established by Castor's and Pollux's coachmen, the Argonauts Telkius and Amphyst.

In the 6th century BC, is was founded as a Milesian colony. It became busily engaged in the commerce between Greece and the indigenous tribes, importing wares from many parts of Greece, and exporting local salt and Caucasian timber, linen, and hemp. It was also a prime center of slave trade in Colchis.

Although the sea made serious inroads upon the territory of Dioscurias, it continued to flourish until its conquest by Mithridates VI Eupator of Pontus in the later 2nd century. Under the Roman emperor Augustus the city assumed the name of Sebastopolis.

Modern location: Sukhumi, Abkhazia
/Files/Images/Coinsite/CoinDB/783_Dioscuriasx.jpg
An AE unit struck 105-90 BC in Dioskourias
Obverse: caps of the Dioskouroi (pilei) surmounted by stars

Reverse: thyrsos; ΔI_OΣ / KOV_PIA / Δ_OΣ

Diameter: -
Die Orientation: -
Weight: -
times of Mithradates VI Eupator
SNG BM 1021