Velia — A settlement in Lucania
Velia was the Roman name of an ancient city of Magna Graecia on the coast of the Tyrrhenian Sea.

It was founded by Greeks from Phocaea as Hyele around 538–535 BC. The name later changed to Ele and then Elea before it became known by its current Latin and Italian name during the Roman era.

The city was known for being the home of the philosophers Parmenides and Zeno of Elea, as well as the Eleatic school of which they were a part.

Remains of the city walls, with traces of one gate and several towers, of a total length of over three miles, still exist, and belong to three different periods, in all of which the crystalline limestone of the locality is used.

Modern location: Ruins
(1) Velia
/Files/Images/Coinsite/CoinDB/Velia(1).jpg
An AR Nomos struck 334-300 BC in Velia
Obverse: Head of Athena left, wearing a crested Phrygian helmet decorated with a Centaur

Reverse: (KE) monogram of Kleudoros Lion standing left devouring prey A / Φ YEΛHTΩN (unreadable)

Diameter: -
Die Orientation: -
Weight: 7.25 g
No notes for this coin
Williams 328 (O174/R244); HN Italy 1294; SNG ANS 1337