This website is a project dedicated to one of my hobbies; collecting ancient coins. I hope to eventually turn it into a valuable ressource for the community - a fun and useful way of learning about ancient coins, displaying your collection, or researching a new coin.
If you have any questions or comments, don't hesitate to contact me at: carstencarlsenboll(at)gmail(dot)com
- Deployed collection folders feature - they can now be created from your collection page but will only show up after a while. You can then select them when creating or editing a coin
- Minor quality of life edits and bugfixes
- Working on collection folders
- Fixed the mint-bug for the frontpage too
- Editors can now edit image captions and entity images from frontend
- It's no longer possible to accidentally save a collection or an entity with no image set
- Temporary fix to the Denarius|Denarius Serratus issue
- Fixed a bug where some mints did not load a map even though coordinates were present
- Added Winchester, Colonia Romula, Phigaleia, Agyrion, Halykiai, Colybrassus, Trapezopolis, Palaeobeudus, Tityassus, Attuda, Coela, Kydonia, Magnesia ad Sipylum and Chalkis sub Libanum mint
- new maps were added during last week
- Select users can now edit entity-descriptions from frontend - saves a lot of time reporting and fixing spelling errors :)
- Deployed new design for search page
- Minor changes to coin card layout
- Edit pages are now passably looking - though not nice
- Simplified some unnecessarily complex code, especially in edit-templates
- Minor bugfixes to selector values
- Deployed redesign which uses standard components instead of custom components. Also eliminated some marginal features like switching from coin view to ruler or mints view. More to come.
- New development setup with staging finally implemented - used it to do some major revisions to how we read and use data in templates.
- Working on upgrading from Bootstrap 3.3.7 to 4.4.1 and converting to bootstrap-native elements
- Added Kingdom of Persis subcategory and its rulers
- Added Sasanid kings
- Regions and mints (uploaded before Chabakta) ordered alphabetically.
- Abydos (Egypt) moved to archive
- Added Chabakta mint
- Added Durocortorum (Reims), Tullum (Toul), Istros and Carisa mints
- Added the Pontian kings Mithradates V, Darius of Pontus, Arsaces of Pontus, Polemon I, Pythodorida, and Polemon II
- Moved Pharnaces from the Kingdom of Pontus to the Bosporan Kingdom
- Added the Pontian rulers Pharnaces I and Mithradates IV
- Added the hexagram denomination
- Added the mint Burdigala (Bordeaux)
- Added the Tressis denomination
- Added Gaius Caesar & Lucius Caesar
- Added the mints Iaetia,Panhormos, Kephaloidion, Aesernia, and Motya
- Added the mint Canterbury
- Added the mints Temnos, Selinos, Morgantina
- Wrote new descriptions of the three new categories
- Fixed a minor query-related bug
- Split the Late Empire category into three:
- A Late Roman Empire category covering Valentinian to Theodosius I + usurpers
- A Western Empire category covering Honorius to Romulus Augustus
- An Eastern Empire category covering Arcadius to Zeno
- Migrated existing entities and coins to the new categories
- Split the Late Empire category into three:
- Some more unsuccessful print research
- Added information to the Kings of Pontus; Mithradates I, Ariobarzanes, Mithradates II, Mithradates III
- Been looking into a way of printing coin labels, but no dice yet :)
- Added information to the Kings of Pergamon; Philetaerus, Eumenes I, Attalus I, Eumenes II, Attalus II, Attalus III, and Eumenes III
- Minor template fixes, some buttons were broken when visiting someone elses collection
- A minor bugfix where collection headers were shown when the Show only your coins button was active
- Few autorities added: Abgar X bar Manu, Ajax high priest and toparch, Alexander tyrant
- Minor changes to templates to make sure the mints as titles link to the correct entity & with all alternative names as a part of the link
- Added Pyrrhus as a King of Epirus
- Continuing with some ruler-debt, I added the following kings of Bithynia: Zipoetes I, Zipoetes II, Nicomedes I, Ziaelas, Prusias I, Nicomedes II, Nicomedes III, and Nicomedes IV
- Added a couple of missing Kings of Galatia; Brogitarius & Castor. They struck no coins, AFAIK, but there you go
- Added outlines of the following Kings of Pergamon: Philetaerus, Eumenes I, Attalus I, Eumenes II, Attalus II, Attalus III, and Eumenes III
- Added outlines for the Kings of Pontus; Mithradates I, Ariobarzanes, Mithradates II, Mithradates III, Pharnaces, Mithradates V, Mithradates VI, Pharnaces II, Darius of Pontis, Arsaces of Pontus, Polemon I, Pythodoridam and Polemon II.
- Added the remaining Bosporan kings; Sauromates III, Rhescuporis IV, Rhescuporis V, Pharsanzes, Synges, Sauromates IV, Theothorses, and Rhadamsades
- Several new mints have been added recently
- Added the Bosporan kings Sauromates I, Cotys II, Rhoemetalces, Eupator, Sauromates II, Rhescuporis II, Rhescuporis III, Cotus III, Ininthimeus, Teiranes, and Rhescuporis VI
- When creating coins, dropdown options for zones, regions & metals are now sorted alphabetically
- Added Double Maiorina as an alternative name for the Maiorina - this is because the heavier issues are often called both.
- Renamed the Independent Poleis category to City Coinage, since not all coins were struck by independent cities.
- Added the pentachalkon denomination, and the Plinthophoric Drachm as an alternative name for the Drachm
- Corrected a minor bug with rendering coin-titles on the frontpage
- Collections can now be browsed again. Patron accounts are highlighted. This applies to all patron-levels right now, but if everyone starts supporting I will have to find another solution :)
- Retired the Dynasts & Satraps subcategory
- Assigned all existing authorites in the Dynast & Satraps category to their correct category
- Fixed a minor issue with classified under regions in two words (e.g. Central Greece) not being shown correctly
- Syrmia region added, Croesus, king of Lydia and Ishtaker mint added. Gortyna and Silandos mints added few days ago.
- Added the Stavraton, Half-Stavraton and Aspron denominations
- Deleted some old and unused item fields on denominations
- Added the Quarter-Mairoina as a denomination
- Added the kings of the Bosporan Kingdom
- Minor edits to various templates
- Added all Kings of Commagene
- Diokaisareia, Pessinus, Anemurium, Midaion mints and Galatian king Deiotaros added.
- Phoenicia folder in authorities created, Azbaal and Baalmelek II added.
- Minor changes to the switch mechanic, prompted by the divorce between categories and geography.
- Been working on content search for a while, and it's now passable. Added a search bar to the navigation.
- Minor edits to some of the content added by Jan Bajer, our new content editor. Changes to templates & item types to account for new categories & subcategories added by Jan.
- Minor edits to the frontpage, e.g. how the daily highlights are shown.
- Bosporan kingdom, kingdom of Commagene, kingdom of Epirus, kingdom of Galatia, Kingdom of Pergamon, Lydian kingdom, Lycian dynasts, Carian satrapy, Cilician satrapy, Lydian satrapy and Hellespontine satrapy subcategories added.
- Semi-Autonomous, Macedonia (Roman province) and kingdom of Lysimachos subcategories added
- Knossos and Gaza sites added
- Phoenician category with Carthage empire and Achameanid Phoenicia subcategories added.
- Cherronesos (Thrace) - corrected mint location.
- Akragas - mint picture replaced.
- some eastern mints moved to their right regions and subregions
- regions and subregions filled for all coins where unambiguous
- Wrote a notification subscriber which auto-builds several static files on which the website depends to e.g. build menus and populate typeahead dropdowns. This all translates to less manual labour for me :)
- I *think* I fixed an annoying bug with double titles for coins where 2 rulers somewhere have the same name
- Minor edits to various other templates
- Minor edits to various templates, e.g. the edit profile template, the your collection template, etc.
- Added denominations to the navigation again - this time in a smarter way :)
- Coins now show the region if no mint is set, and the zone if no region is set
- Minor changes to various templates, e.g. the login & create account templates
- Reworked the user profile page & added a small breakdown section listing various collection stats
- Switched to using Font Awesome 5
- Made it possible to support the website on Patreon
- Added a couple of boxes to the frontpage for registering an account and supporting the website
- Added the Marsic Confederation as a Roman Republican authority under 'Other Republican'
- Minor changes to the user profile page - more to come
- Tested out how to render geographical information on coins, but decided against doing it in the tile view
- Added Region-information when a mint is rendered
- Working on a better way of populating dropdown values in the add coin modal. It should make it possible to reduce code complexity significantly.
- All mints have now been assigned to a region :) Next up is to update the forms for adding & editing coins.
- Other half of the zones & regions done. Added a region to all mints starting with A. Made the coin & entoity queries respond to the new Zone & Region parameters. Removed domains.
- Enriching the new zones & regions. About halfways done.
- Lots of work on creating and linking the new geographical categories together - and rendering them correctly in the navigation. Now they have to be enriched, and then the hundreds of mints in the db must be linked to each of them manually ;)
- More work with the restructure. Today I switched from one way of generating JSON to another method which provides better options for sorting pages in the navigation.
- I am also working with a user (Jan) on a first draft on the new, expanded geographical classification hierarchy.
- Lots of work with splitting out geographical stuff from other classifications, creating new item fields and so on. This will take some time but be good.
- I am working on a new navigation, and the work has highlighted the need for getting the data structure ironed out. Specifically, we need to separate geography from categories & domains. This means a single list of provinces (Greek & Provincial categories will be merged), and making the Greek 'domains' into proper categories. More thinking ahead, as this is a major change to the data architecture.
- Added Fulk IV & Fulk V
- Various minor template fixes with entity titles, matching titles to subcategories, etc.
- Added Henry II, Hugh IV, and James II, all kings of Cyprus, and Bohemond III & Bohemond IV, Princes of Antioch
- Added the Republic of Venice and Kingdom of France as European Medieval categories, and the 84th doge of Venice, Pietro Loredano
- Added the mint of Ebora
- Added Crusader States as a European Medieval subcategory
- Added Genghis Khan, Öz Beg Khan, Antipater
- Added the denominations 1/3 Stater, 1/6 Stater, 1/12 Stater and 1/24 Stater
- Added the Half-Stater & Jital denominations
- Added Mongol as an islamic subcategory
- Added the Half-Follis and Gros denominations
- Made it possible to list all variants of the same denomination in the same lists, show the right denomination entity, and made coins link correctly to make it work
- Added the denominations Denier, Post-Reform Radiate, Distater, Tank
- Added the ruler Laodice IV
- Added the mints Skepsis, Kotyaion, Adana, Kition, Amorion, Venice, Oea, Harran|Carrhae, Masicytes
- Added the mint Kabul
- All English rulers from Alfred the Great to Anne are now added
- Added the mint or Arse|Saguntum
- Discovered a bug in the code, and as a result renamed a number of entity & coin fields to fit naming scheme (European_MedievalSubcultures) and moved all data to the new fields
- Added data to all English monarchs, only descriptions are lacking now
- Added the Kingdom of England as a European Medieval category
- Added all monarchs from the Kingdom of England, ready to be enriched
- Linked Macedonian rulers together - must have slipped my mind when I added them in the first place
- Fixed the up-arrow when going from a ruler to a subcategory. It had been broken by some recent changes.
- Rolled out a quick fix for double titles when using subcategories as titles
- Fixed the coin summary in coin details page
- Created a quick fix for linking to mints with multiple names
- Rolled out a first version of a new template set which can list all coins from a mint, regardless of the name used on the coin
- Lots of minor related changes
- Mints can now flip from showing coins to showing authorities
- Fixed an issue with the rendering authorites
- Other minor issues and redesigns born from the new data architecture
- Added Nicosia with all it's names
- Added the regions of Commagene, Bruttium, Gallia Transalpina, Apulia, and Etruria
- Added the mints Xiadu, Calais, Ghazna
- Added the Achaemenid Empire as a domain
- Added the mint Tarraco
- Fixes minor issue with link engine
- Changed the coin details template to use the new JSON architecture
- Fixed a minor issue with the Recently Added page and the new entity architecture
- Fixed a minor issue with rendering collection headers
- Lots of related edits - the entire mints/authorities pages broke because of the changes this week. Working on further restructures exploiting the new JSON abilities.
- Added the Odrysian Kingdom as a domain.
- Finally figured out how to work more intelligently with JSON objects - this will make a lot of things smarter, but will take some time to properly implement. For now, it means subcategories used as titles or as mints are linked with proper category parameters, which is nice!
- Fixed up the Related Entities template to use the new parameters
- You can now use categories, subcategories, mints, and of course regular authorities in the title field
- You can now use subcategories in place of mints where the mint is unknown - this is primarily useful for Greek and Roman Provincial subcategories, which are provinces & regions
- Subcategories now use the same query parameter, which makes everything simpler under the hood
- Eliminated distinction between @Category and @CurrentCulture in Entity-template
- Assorted related template changes
- Added the Lokri Opuntii and Magnetes tribes, and the region of Lokri Opunti
- Added the Elymite ruler Phraates
- Added the mint Melitaea
- Added the Celtic Serdi tribe
- Added the Cilician satrap Balakros
- Minor changes to how mints are rendered in feeds and when adding a coin
- Added the mint Raydan
- Added the ruler Amdan Bayyin
- Added a ruler for Imitation coins
- Added the rulers Rhoemetalces I, Rhoemetalces II, Rhoemetalces III, Prusias II, and Husam al-Din Yuluq Arslan
- Created a simple printer friendly layout - there's now a print button in the coin details menu, next to the delete button
- Added the mint Magnesia ad Maeandrum
- Added the mints Herdonia, Phasis, Massalia, Venusia, Angers, Pallantion, Minturnae
- Added France as a Greek subcategory to account for coins from e.g. Massalia
- Changed the publishing query to include partial matches on mints - this means mints with '?' in the end will be published alongside those without, but may lead to some coins being published wrong. Time will tell if I need to roll back this change.
- Implemented multiple names for mints - the mint will now be loaded regardless of which name is used (e.g. London, Londinium)
- Added the mints Calagurris, Artaxata, Korkyra
- Added Armenia as a Greek subcategory
- Added the Armenian rulers Artaxias I, Artavasdes I, Tigranes I, Tigranes II, Tigranes the Younger, Artavasdes II, Artaxias II, Tigranes III, Erato and Tigranes IV
- Added the Parthian ruler Vologases III
- Added the Elymaite ruler Kamnaskires-Orodes
- Working on a way to have mints load with multiple names - got pretty far. Now I just need to load coins based on all the names when only one value is passed in the querystring.
- Added Kolchis as a Greek subcategory
- Added Himyarite Kingdom as an Eastern subcategory
- Added the mints Kios, Bostra, Phaselis, Prokonnesos
- Added Sardinia as a mint - we'll have to see if this is the right approach to uncertain mints..
- Found a way to not link to non-existing rulers, denominations & mints
- Added the Phokian Confederation as an authority
- Added the Scordisci
- Added a Migrating Tribes subcategory to Byzantine coins. Added the Vandals and Ostrogoths as rulers in that category
- Fixed a bug related to the System Account
- Added the rulers Alyattes and Alyattes.
- Added the Tetrassarion, Pentassarion, Octassarion, Diassarion, Triassarion, Decassarion, Hemiassarion and Half-Siliqua denominations
- Minor changes to how denominations are rendered
- Added the Nomos, Cistophorus, Eikosachalkon, and Trichalkon denominations
- This weather is not website friendly :P Added the mints Rhagai, Antioch ad Hippum, Decapolis
- Made denominations work with | separators
- Added the Dinar denomination
- Added the rulers Alexander Jannaeus, Valrius Gratus, Pontius Pilate, Galerius Antoninus, Rusudan, John Hyrcanus II, Herod I, Azes II and an entity for City Commemoratives
- Added the Kingdom of Geaorgia as a European Medieval subcategory, and made some changes to make everything work properly with that
- Added the cities Brundisium, Babylon, Kutaisi, Agathopolis, Hypaepa, Caelia, Perge, Canusium, Curium, Amathos, Myriandros, Turiaso, Anchialus, Susa
- Made the review-lists more robust and able to auto-update in real-time and ignore trailing question marks. This will also soon be implemented for coin lists, so coins which are tentatively attributed to mints are shown under that mint.
- Added the denominations prutah, lepton
- Added the mint Cyrene
- Continued work on the auto-generated lists of coin values for review
- Added the mints Antioch (Pisidia), Ninica-Claudiopolis, Ecbatana, Utica, Taxila, Alopekonnesos, Praeneste, Aphrodisias, & Castcantum
- Worked on an effective behind-the-scenes way of identifying coins added with odd data or data not yet in the system - this will help me keep track of e.g. mints to add or issues to solve.
- Added the mint Gargara
- Reviewed some hundred coins added since the last update
- Minor changes to how the changelog is rendered
- Made it possible to add several mints to a coin in the format Min1|Mint2 - no whitespace allowed. Should work exactly the same as for authorities. Implemented this for coin lists, on the frontpage, and on coin details page.
- Added the Byzantine rulers Theodore I, John III, Theodore II, Michael VIII, Adronikos II, Andronikos III, John V, John VI, Andronikos IV, John VII, Manuel II, John VIII, Constantine XI, and John IV
- Added the Byzantine rulers Romanos IV, Nikephoros III, Alexios I, John II, Manuel I, Alexios II, Isaac II, Alexios III, Alexios IV, Alexios V and Andronikos I
- Fixed an issue with two rulers who shared a name being shown
- Added the Byzantine rulers Romanos III, Michael IV, Michael V, Theodora, Constantine IX, Isaac I, Constantine X, Michael VII and Michael VI
- Added the Byzantine rulers Basil I, Leo VI, Alexandros, Constantine VII, Romanos I, Romanos II, Nikephoros II, John I, Constantine VIII, Zoe and Basil II
- Added the Byzantine rulers Leo III, Constantine V, Artabasdos, Leo IV, Constantine VI, Irene, Nikephoros I, Staurakios, Michael I, Leo V, Michael II, Theophilos, and Michael III
- Added the Byzantine rulers Phocas, Heraclius, Constantine III, Heraklonas, Constans II, Constantine IV, Justinian II, Leontius, Tiberius III, Philippikos Bardanes, Anastasios II, and Theodosios III
- Implemented a new way for me to group Domains (realms) to prevent problems down the line
- Added the Byzantine rulers Anastasius I, Justin I, Justinian I, Justin II, Tiberius II and Maurice
- Fixed a minor issue with rendering authorities with no explicit image set
- Added the Macedonian kings Demetrius II Aetolicus, Antigones III, Philip V & Perseus - and added Macedon (Protectorate)t to cover the period between the end of the monarchy and the establishment of the province of Macedonia.
- Fixed an issue where using the buttons to move between authorities would filter out provincial coins for the new authority loaded
- Plannes some future features
- Linked together all Seleucid rulers
- Prepared a list of Byzantine rulers to add
- Fixed an issue with next and previous buttons being rendered even if no link to a an entity existed
- Minor changes related to how collections are rendered
- Added the mint Tyras
- Reviewed some 100 coins added in the last week
- Added the frontpage to the website
- Working on the early stages of a proper frontpage
- Cleaned up the Edit Coin screen a little bit
- Made the coin details view redirect to both authorities where appropriate
- Added some Indo-Greek kings; Demetrius I, Agathocles, Pantaleon, Demetrius II, Menandros I, Agathokleia, Strato I, Heliokles II. Man, the chronology of these rulers is confusing :P
- Added the option of moving coins to a SystemsAccount instead of deleting them outright
- Added the Lycian Dynast Uvug, and the Indo-Parthian ruler Abdagases I
- Added the cities Neocaesarea, Aspendos, Mantineia, Histiaia, Sparta, Mende, Nisibis and Megara
- Implemented a basic kind of suggestion engine for select fields when adding new coins
- Added Caesarea Maritima, Flavia Neapolis, Gadara, Sillyum, Isinda, Stobi, Rhesaena, Singara, Edessa (Mesopotamia), Marcianopolis, Nicopolis ad Istrum, Berytus, Cyrrhus, Damascus, Heliopolis, Laodicea ad Mare, Sidon, Zeugma, Samosata, Beroea, Gabala, Hierapolis, Hadrianopolis (Thrace), Pautalia, Philoppopolis, Augusta Traiana, Perinthus, Deultum, Colonia Agrippinensis and Bizya.
- I've been ill, but today I added the cities of Iconium, Ancyra, Lystra, Acmoneia, Nemausus, Celsa, Bilbilis, Segobriga, and Akko-Ptolemais
- Added a couple of buttons to the collection pages which allow you to switch between alphabetic & custom sort
- Ironing out issues related to the new system:
- Coins are now immediately added to the 'Recently Added' list, but there's still a bit of a wait for it to show up on the other pages
- It's quicker to add new coins now
- Ironing out issues related to the new system:
- I migrated the coin database to a new system - immediate effects are:
- You can now link to coins and pages on facebook and get proper previews of the coin or category linked
- With time, I can match coins on partial titles instead of full titles and other cool things
- Unfortunately, it also means some things are broken
- Custom sort orders currently don't function - this has to be fixed
- Adding a new coin is really slow - this is probably OK for now, until I can find the issue
- New coins won't show up until 5 minutes after being added:
- I migrated the coin database to a new system - immediate effects are:
- I have been working in a way to solve 2 issues - we want to allow titles with joint authorities linking to separate authority pages, and we want to load coins these coins when either authority page is visited. Working on this has led me down a bit of a rabbit hole regarding how we store and publish coins in general. Good news is, I think we can work out the issues and improve the website. Bad news is this requires a lot of changes to the architecture. Initial prospects are looking good, though. Will have to put in some more hours to see if it can work 100%.
- Added the cities of Tripolis ad Maeandrum, Chalcedon, Alabanda, Korykos, Ambracia, Cirta, Arados, Seleukeia Pieria, Dionysopolis, Kardia, Kallatis, Abydos (Troas), Neandreia, Tyana, Anazarbus, Olba, Titiopolis, Epiphaneia (Cilicia), Seleucia ad Calycadnum, Mopsus, Ulpia Traiana Sarmizegetusa and Apamea
- Added the cities of Petra, Antiochia ad Meandrum, Alexandria Troas, Eumeneia, Philadelpheia, Nicaea and Philomelion
- Fully implemented the switch functionality for geographically based classifications (Roman Provincial & Greek)
- Busy these days, but I have been working on an improved 'add coin' form, and a page for rendering mints like we have for authorities
- Upgraded to latest release, which caused the site to be temporarily down as I correct some API calls
- Moved 'Show only your coins' button down to the toolbar, and implemented the toolbar for rulers. This involved some string processing to make sure you are returned with the right parameters when untoggling the mode
- I have been ironing out bugs related to allowing rulers to have the same name
- I have finally finished adding Republican moneyers - 364 in total. They are listed under the year and category where they first struck coins, which makes later Imperatorial categories somewhat thin compared to the number of issues struck. But that's the nature of this classification principles, I guess.
- These past days I've been working on various improvements to the workflow when adding coins
- I've begun to roll out a new way of switching between coins & authorities for the non-geographically based categories. This will allow us to get rid of the impractical and unsightly filter dropdowns, at least for authorities
- Wrote a "magic" (read: ugly) fix for loading the correct option on the rare occasions when rulers/authorities have the same name. I am sure it will be back to haunt me soon :P
- Some much needed code cleanup :)
- Added mouseover texts to various buttons
- These past days I have been enriching Republican moneyer profiles. All moneyers from 211-60 BC are now covered
- Assorted template & system changes to regularize rendering across coins/rulers and prepare for switching seamlessly between them
- Working on a more mobile friendly coin details page in sync with the design on the rest of the website
- Added a metric ton of Republican moneyers - all remaining moneyers from the category 145-107 BC.
- Added the Republican moneyers C. Cornelius L.f. Sisenna, A. Manlius Q.f., M. Herennius M.f., Mn. Fonteius, L. Valerius Flaccus, Q. Lutatius Cerco, L. Memmius, P. Porcius Laeca, C. Claudius Pulcher, Q. Urbinus, T, Manlius Macinus, Ap. Claudius Pulcher, L. Caesius, Ti. Quinctus, Cn. Cornelius Blasio, L. Manlius Torquatus, T. Didius, P. Licinius Nerva, C. Fonteius, Cethegus, M. Junius Silanus, Cn. Domitius Cn.f. Cn.n. Ahenobarbus, Q. Caecilius Metellus Numidicus
- Made life a little bit easier for myself by making it possible for me to edit coins from the frontend instead of the backend
- Added the Republican moneyers L. Cassius Q.f. Longinus, P. Satrienus, L. Rustius, C. Egnatius Maximus, L. Farsuleius Mensor, C. Postumius, L. Cossatius C.f. Sabula, L. Plaetorius Cestianus, P. Corn. Lentulus Spinther, Q. Pomponius Rufus, Q. Crepereius Rocus, L. Axius L.f. Naso, Mn. Aquilius Mn.f. Mn.n., Q. Fufius Calenus, P. Mucius Scaevola Cordus, T. Vettius Sabinus, M. Plaetorius M.f. Cestianus, P. Sulpicius Galba. Q. Pomponius Musa, Lucius Manlius Torquatus, L. Roscius Fabatus, L. Cassius Longinus, M. Pupius M.f. Piso Frugi, P. Plautius Hypsaeus
- Added a couple of Republican moneyers; C. Marcius Censorinus, M. Fonteius, L. & C. Memmius L.f. Gal., C. Gargonius, Ogulnius, M. Verginius, M. Fannius, L. Critonius, L. Julius Bursio, C. Cassius Longinus Varus, Livius Salinator, P. Furius Crassipes, Mn. Iuventius Laterensis, L. Cornelius Sulla, P. Crepusius, C. Mamilius C.f. Limetanus, Q. Antonius Balbus, C. Valerius Flaccus, C. Annius Luscus, L. Fabius Hispaniensis, C. Tarquitius, L. Manlius Torquatus, C. Servilius, Q. Caecilius Metellius Pius, L. Volumnius Strabo, L. Procilius Filius, C. Publius Q.f., A. Manlius A.f. Q.n., C. Naevius Balbus
- Added a couple of Republican moneyers; Q. Servilius Caepio, P. Sabinus, T. Cloulius (or Cloelius) II, C. Egnatuleius C.f., L. Pomponius L.f. M.n. Molo, L. Caecilius Metellus, C. Allius Bala, Q Titius, Cn. Corn. Lent. Clodianus
- Made it possible to use the arrow buttons to move between authority categories, instead of being redirected to the coin lists
- Added the Cadurci, Caletes, Carnutes, Cavarii, Leuci, Lemovici, Lingones, Mediomatrici, Meldi, Morini, Nervii, Nitiobroges, Osismii, Parisii, Redones, Remi, Senones, Sequani, Suessiones, Sotiates, Treviri, Vangiones, Veliocasses, Veneti, Volcae
- Addes a couple of Republican moneyers; L. Memmius Galeria, L. Hostilius Tubulus, L. Aurelius Cotta, Q. Minucius M.f. Thermus, L. Julius L.f. Sex.n. Caesar, L. Cassius Caeicianus, C. Fabius C.f. Q.n. Hadrianus, L. Sentius C.f., M. Servilius Vatia Isauricus, P. Servilius M.f. Rullus, L. Calpurnius Piso Caesoninus
- Template changes & renaming of entities to support a new unified way of rendering entity information for rulers/authorities in addition to coins
- Added the Boii, Helvetii, Cotini, Eravisci, Insubres, Noricum, Cantii, Atrebates, Iceni, Dobunni, Catuvelauni, Durotriges, Aedui, Allobroges, Armoricani, Arverni, Aulerci, Bellovaci, Bituriges
- Testing out a possible way to use metatags to make sharing to facebook nicer and more informative - no results yet, but a couple of ideas
- Some work in making the authorities section nicer - subcategories in the menu, culture-appropriate filters, and so on.
- Added the shells of about 40 celtic tribes & federations to be enriched when I have the time
- Reworked the navigation menu again - things should be easier to find now
- Removed/merged a couple of unused provincial subcategories
- Removed and/or conflated a number of Provincial categories - Alpes Cottidae, Maritimae, and Poeniae, Germania Inferior, Germania Superior, Noricum, Raetia, Pannonia Inferior, Pannonia Superior
- Added subcategories for Byzantine coins. Happy new years!
- Added the mints Jerusalem, Attaleia (Lydia), Nacrasa, Gordus-Julia, Saitta, Thyteira, Tralleis, Pella, Heraclea Sintica, Uranopolis, Hatra, Seleucia on Tigris, Pergamon, Dyme, Megalopolis, Olympia, Sikyon, Marathos, Tyre, Laodikeia ad Lycum, Sagalassos, Termessos, Obulco, Sekaisa, Malaka, Ilipense, Emporion, Demetrias, Ekkarra, Halos, Phalanna, Pherai, Dionysopolis, Lysimacheia, Byzantion, Odessos, Tomis
- Added the Achaean League and the Thessalian League
- Added the mints Stratonikeia (Caria), Tabae, Oiniadai, Aigeai, Elaioussa, Hierapolis Kastabala, Aptera (Crete), Smyrna, Neapolis, Taras
- Added the ruler Evagoras I and the Brettian League
- Wrote descriptiond for the remaining Seleucid rulers
- Corrected the authorities on some coins, which have been bothering me for a while :D
- Added the mints Neonteichos, Dioskourias, Olbia, Pantikapaion, Phanagoria, and Eusebeia
- Added the following Kings of Cappadocia - Ariarathes I, Ariarathes II, Ariamnes II, Ariarathes III, Ariarathes IV, Ariarathes V, Ariarathes VI, Ariarathes VII, Ariarathes VIII, Ariobarzanes I, Ariobarzanes II, Ariarathes X, and Archelaus
- Added the Seleucid rulers Tryphon, Antiochus VII, Alexander Ii Zabinas, Cleopatra Thea, Seleucus V, Antiochus VIII, Antiochus IX, Seleucus VI, Antiochus X, Demetrius III, Antiochus XI, Philip I Philadelphus, Antiochus XII, Seleucus VII, Antiochus XIII, and Philip II Philoromaeus.
- Made the 'show only your coins' button sort by custom sort
- Added Celtic subcategories, and made them render correctly - and added descriptions
- Added Mesopotamia & Judea as Greek subcategories
- Prepared the solution for Byzantine, Indian & Chinese subcategories
- Renamed Medieval as 'European Medieval' and handled the resulting outfall
- Added Mithradates III of Parthia
- Added the mint Aigai (Aeolis)
- Added Seleucid rulers Antiochus II, Seleucus II, Seleucus III, Antiochus III, Seleucus IV, Antiochus V, Demetrius I, Alexander I Balas, Demetrius II, and Antiochus VI
- Added Alexander IV, Philip III, Antigones II
- Added description for the Seleucid Empire
- Added the Syracusan tyrants Hieron I, Dionysios II, Timoleon, Agathocles, Hicetas and Gelon II
- Worked on displaying relevant information about the domain/kingdom when filtering authorites
- Added domain descriptions for the Ptolemaic Kingdom, the Kingdom of Lycia, the Kingdom of Galatia, the Kingdom of Pontus, the Kingdom of Macedonia, the Kingdom of Thrace, the Satrapy of Caria, the Satrapy of Lydia, a general introduction to Leagues, and the Roman Republic
- Added the cities of Argos, Priene, Chios, Dyrrachion
- Decided on a definitive format for filtering rulers & other authorities and implemented it :)
- Added Macedonian rulers Perdikkas II, Archelaos O. Aeropos II, Amyntas II, Amyntas III and Perdiccas III
- Added Ptolemaic rulers Berenike I, Arsinoe I, Arsinoe II, Berenike II, Arsinoe III, Ptolemy XII, Cleopatra V, Ptolemy XIII, Arsinoe IV, Ptolemy XIV, and Ptolemy XV
- Worked in various ways of rendering Greek rulers in a better way in the authorities list. Not sure I found the ideal way yet.
- Added Ptolemy I, Ptolemy IV, Ptolemy V, Cleopatra I, Cleopatra II, Ptolemy VII, Ptolemy VIII, Ptolemy IX, Cleopatra III, Ptolemy X, Berenike III, Ptolemy XI
- Sorted Roman Imperial authorties in chronological fashion
- Added some Greek authorities; Alexander I of Macedon, Antiochus I
- Implemented a new mega-menu navigation to get some more real estate for the website
- Created a page for rendering various authorities on - rulers, leagues, etc. styled like the denominations page for now.
- Converted the remaining pages (Collection, Your collection) to the new entity rendering method
- Added the mint(s) Byblos, Segesta, Castulo, Krannon, Larissa, Pelinna, Pharsalos, Pherai, Skiathos, Skotussa, Trikka, Thasos, Maroneia, Cherronesos (Thrace), Antandros, Kebren, Kolone, Ophrynion, Sigeion
- Stopped rendering subcategories for entities with no subcategories
- Created a preliminary filterable list of coin denominations
- Added the mint(s) Tarsos, Soloi, Kolophon, Phokaia, Teos, Hyria, Kroton, Thourioi, Velia, Limyra, Neapolis (Macedonia), Siris, Lampsakos, Parion, Plakia, Astyra, Side, Sinope, Korinthos, Phlius
- Added the Pericles, Autophradates, Tissaphernes
- Since the bug with responsive images should now be fixed, I reintroduced a responsive width to images. I also changed the maximum size of images on the coin detail page
- Changed the balance of image/text when rendering entities slightly, to avoid too much whitespace.
- Added categories for ancient indian and ancient chinese coins
- Added the mint(s) Tanagra, Aegina, Autokane, Elaia, Kyme, Myrina, Halikarnassos, Kaunos, Mygissos, Athens, Chalkis, Leukas, Daulis, Thebes, and Salamis (Attica)
- Started working on a system which allows alternative names for the same entity - still in the testing phase, and may not be possible.
- Deployed new rendering method for entities - average page load time cut by 90%
- Made mint locations show on the map again
- Added Phoenicia as a Greek subcategory
- Added the mints Larissa Phrikonis, Abdera, Abydos, and Apollonia Pontica
- Moved some old authorities from the old Imperiatorial category to the new Republican categories - Lepidus, Brutus, Caesar, & Cassius
- Finished linking up Roman Imperial authorities - you can now browse from Augustus to Leontius :)
- Restyled how entities are rendered to make browse buttons work on mobile
- The sort value of a coin is now rendered on your collection page - this makes it easier to see which value a new coin should have
- Coins belonging to you now have a black border in all lists
- Began linking roman imperial authorities together
- Some restyling of how we render entities which should make everything look a little tighterr
- Some CSS restyling... not everything needs to be italic, after all..
- Added a preliminary way to sort coins in you collection - a sort value field. Coins in your collection is sorted in ascending order, with the lowest numbers at the top. Default value for the field is 99999. Let's see how this does - it's a fairly stupid system, which will need to be refined a bit after tests..
- Some CSS cleanup
- Created a system for moving vertically between entities using arrow buttons. Implemented for Categories & Subcategories
- Added the mints Paphos & Salamis
- Added the authorities M. Vargunteius, M. Volteius M.f., Mn. Acilius Balbus, Mn. Aemilius Lepidus, Mn. Aquillius, P. Aelius Paetus
- Added a responsive width for screens larger than 1200px - this should solve some of the issues with a lack of space on laptops, at least
- Centered images & caption texts on entitites
- Added the mint Emerita
- Added authorities L. Sempronius Pitio, L. Procilius L.f., L. Rubrius Dossenus, L. Rutilius Flaccus, M. Acilius M.f., M. Baebius Q.f. Tampilus, M. Barbatius Pollio, M. Cipius M.f., M. Fannius C.f. and L. Scribonius Libo
- Added the mint Luceria
- Various edits to bios
- Split the moneyer P. Corn. Lent. Marcellinus into two - P. Corn. Lent. Marcellinus I and P. Corn. Lent. Marcellinus II. Not ideal, but they are 100% identically named, so this will have to do.
- Merged mint Thessaloniki with Thessalonica
- Restyled the blog page & some initial restyling of blog posts
- Changed the denomination 'Dirhem' to 'Dirham'
- Added the mints Wasit & Kashkar
- Added the Aedilis Curulis Cn. Plancius and Praetor Peregrinus C. Cluvius Saxula, and moneyers L. Aemilius Lepidus Paullus, L. Appuleius Saturninus, L. Cornelius Scipio Asiaticus, L. Flaminius Chilo, L. Julius, L. Iulius, L. Lucretius Trio, L. Marcius Q.f. Q.n. Philippus (113 BC), L. Marcius Phillippus (56 BC), L. Minucius, L. Mussidius Longus, L. Plautius Hypsaeus, and L. Papius
- Revised the date-based subcategories for Roman Republican coins - I won't mess with them further now, promise
- Merged various lists of denominations in the backend.
- Removed underscores from mint and denomination names, and changed all existing coins using underscores for mints/denomintions to the new format
- Assigned a subcategory to most existing moneyers
- Lots of template changes associated with the above
- Added rulers Eukratides I, Orodes II and Shapur II
- Added the mints Erankhvarrah-Shapur and Sardis
- Split the moneyer A. Postumius Albinus into two people - A. Postumius A.f. Albinus & A. Postumius S.f. Albinus
- Split the moneyer C. Coelius Caldus into two people - C. Coelius C.f. C.n. Caldus & C. Coelius Caldus
- Created descriptions for the Roman Republican subcategories
- Added support for creating and editing Medieval, Byzantine & Celtic coins - and for rendering them in the list at in the details view. No subcategories yet
- Added subcategories for Roman Republican coins
- You can now change your password - sorry it took so long ;)
- Eliminated separate denominations for each category - there was too much overlap and too much code associated with rendering the correct denomination. all denominations are now 'Universal' and will match to coins in all categories.
- Lots of SQL wizardry to unify the way we approach mints on the site - all mints are now universal, at the (low) cost of no dropdowns when creating a coin, but simply a text field for writing the mint or city
- Created a Roman_Republican category, changed all Republican coins to be part of that group, and renamed the Roman category as Roman_Imperial
- Lots of template and database changes related to new categories & new mint system
- Added two new categories - Medieval & Byzantine. No subcategories so far, and no descriptions - only available when adding a coin
- Small improvements to entity-rendering (Rulers, Mints, etc.)
- Much needed code-cleaning in progress
- Added Spain as a Greek subcategory
- Added moneyers C. Malleolus C.f. (96 BC), C. Servilius M.f., Cn. Cornel. Lent. Marcellinus, Cn. Domitius Ahenobarbus, Cn. Fulvius, Cn. Gellius, D. Junius L.f. SIlanus, Furius Purpurio
- Added the Ummayad Caliph al-Walid I & Indo-Greek kings Apollodotos I & Zoilos II, and Indo-Scythian king Azes I
- Added Cyprus as a Greek subcategory- and wrote a description of it
- Added moneyers C. Considius Nonianus, C. Fabius C. f. Hadrianus, C. Fundanius, C. Hosidius C.f. Geta, C. Junius C.f., C. Maianius, C. Minucius C.f. Augurinus, C. Numitorius, C. Renius, and C. Licinius L.f. Macer
- Added Roman Provincial to the dropdown menu
- Descriptions for Hispania Baetica, Hispania Balearica, Hispania Lusitania, Hispania Tarragonensis, Italia, Mauretania Caesarensis, Mauretania Tingitana, Moesia Superior, Moesia Inferior, Noricum, Pannonia Superior, Pannonia Inferior, and Raetia created
- Added the following mints: Italica, Ercavica, Salamis
- Added Ptolemaios III
- Corrected Denarius Serratus denomination to make it work properly as a filter - and related issues in templates and coin db
- Added Biunx denomination
- Added moneyer L. Porcius Licinius
- Added 'Rome' as an authority for Roman Republican coins
- Fixed error related to frontend-editing of coins
- Added reworked Provincial Provinces - without the correct descriptions so far, but you can use them when classifying coins
- Added descriptions for Alpes Cottidae, Alpes Maritimae, Alpes Poenias, Brittania, Corsica et Sardinia, Sicilia, Cyprus, Dalmatia, Gallia Aquitania, Gallia Belgica, Gallia Lugdunensis, Gallia Narbonensis, Germania Inferior, and Germania Superior
A loose list of features and idea which may be built i the future if I can make it work. Some are by me, others are based on user requests:
- Implement comments - and maybe ratings?
- Improve printer-friendly coin details page
- Show coins in a list instead of tiles
- Make it possible to select a number of coins and print tags for them
- Add coins directly to System Account
- Browse all mints directly from a map
- Add coin from frontpage
Other coments, observations and ideas:
Maybe coins with uncertain mints ending with ? (like "Rome?") also could show in mint's gallery.
- Could one authority also have more names (like Alexander III / Alexander the Great) directing to the same page just like mints work?
- Is it necessary to divide authorities in the same way as categories? Wouldn't be more efficient to split them as: cities, tribes, kings, satraps, emperors, family members, moneyers, magistrates, for example?
- Would be possible to sort coins in categories according to order of autority entities - for emperors or moneyers it could work well.
- restructure regions of Italy so they were consistent with each other