Ravenna - A settlement in Gallia Cisalpina
Ravenna is a city in northern Italy, which served as an important Roman settlement in Gallia Cisalpina.

It was the capital city of the Western Roman Empire from 402 until that empire collapsed in 476. It then served as the capital of the Ostrogothic Kingdom until it was re-conquered in 540 by the Byzantine Empire. Afterwards, the city formed the centre of the Byzantine Exarchate of Ravenna until the invasion of the Lombards in 751, after which it became the seat of the Kingdom of the Lombards.

Apart from a short occupation by Venice (1527–1529), Ravenna was part of the Papal States until 1796., when it was annexed to the French puppet state of the Cisalpine Republic. It was returned to the Papal States in 1814. Occupied by Piedmontese troops in 1859, it became part of the new unified Kingdom of Italy in 1861.

Modern location: Ravenna, Italy

(1) Heraclius 610-641
AR 1/4 Siliqua Ravenna
Obverse: Diademed and draped bust right Text DN ERACLIVS PP AV
Reverse: Cross potent within wreath
Ref: DOC 281; MIB 156; SB 907